Everything you do as a parent is an investment in your child's future. Therefore, let's be sure that the effort we are making is effective for strengthening their life steps. In Episode 110 we are going to have a checklist for growth steps toward the ultimate goal of helping our kids to live fully in God's unique purpose for their lives.
To do this, we look at Val's diagram of A Child's Hierarchy of Needs to God's Will for Their Lives, from her book When Littles are Loud: Maximizing the Moments without Drowning in Chaos. But this hierarchy of needs is not just about small children. It applies to every life - we need to progress to the next step on the ladder as a daily checklist, but also over their lifetime.
The levels of A Child's Hierarchy of Needs , which Val discusses in episode 110, are
-Safety Needs mentally, socially, spiritually, & physically
-Love & Justice Needs
-Knowledge of God and Who you are in relationship with God
-Need to Know your unique design from personality to gifts, talents, passions, experiences, strengths, weaknesses - our child needs to know that the unique design that is YOU is exactly what this world needs. Your life is a unique message to the world and PURPOSE in the world
- Need to Hear God's voice & do His will - how do we teach our kids to hear God's voice for the daily small stuff and the big decisions o f life.
On each step of the hierarchy, we want to take child through the following process:
1. Let them experience life with this step of life being HEALTHY. Are we giving them a healthy view of this part of life or a warped view?
2. Simultaneously, MODEL for them of how it looks for an adult to live out this area of life in a healthy way.
3. When they are old enough, EQUIP them to MONITOR this area of their life.
4. When they are old enough, EQUIP them to IMPROVE this area of their life.
RESOURCES mentioned in this episode
Tim Mackie - Justice and God's Story, pt 1
The Bible Project short family videos by Tim Mackie
Bible Study: Experiencing God - Henry Blackaby
About George Mueller
Val's hierarchy of needs for reaching God's purpose in your child's life comes from her book, When Littles Are Loud